Mumbai Guided Sightseeing Tour with Elephanta Caves
A 7 hours private sightseeing tour of the city of Mumbai and the iconic Elephanta Caves. Learn more about the history of the economic capital of India and also of the 2nd century BC Buddhist shrines.
- Transportation by an air-conditioned vehicle.
- Visit the important landmarks of Mumbai like Shivaji train station, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Mumbai University, and more.
- Company of a professional and knowledgeable guide.
- Visit the beautiful Elephanta Island and explore the caves.
Mumbai, formerly known as Bombay, is undoubtedly India’s commercial and entertainment capital. Bollywood, fashion, skyscrapers, traffic that never seems to stop, and delicious street food that purists say you can never find anywhere else, that is Mumbai for you. Mumbai is a bustling, energetic metropolis and every area in the city has a flavor of its own. South Mumbai with its posh neighborhood and upscale bars, restaurants, and museums draws hundreds of tourists. South Central Mumbai has Worli sea face and several offices, West Mumbai suburbs are popular upper middle-class residential areas, North Central Mumbai has Dharavi, Asia’s second-largest slum, East and North Mumbai neighborhoods have developed rapidly over past few years as a result of the vast urban sprawl. Mumbai has the Gateway of India monument and a visit to this city is in many ways an introductory lesson to the mind-boggling diversity that India has to offer to its visitors.
A complex set of ancient cave temples on the Elephanta Island; near Mumbai; are the Elephanta caves. Elephanta Island is not only a worthy destination in itself but it also provides a great view of Mumbai's skyline and an escape from the chaos of the city. The best part about planning a trip to Elephanta is that you get a ferry ride exploring the blue of the waters of Mumbai. The hour-long ride is a good time to get a briefing about the place from the guides on board. One must try to plan the trip during the day so that one enjoys the sunset over Mumbai on the return journey.
- You will be received from your hotel/residence in Mumbai city limits and be driven to the Gateway of India.
- After an hour-long boat ride to Elephanta Island, explore the magnificent caves.
- The outer caves were used as a place of Hindu worship until Portuguese rule was established. The caves further in are smaller and are Buddhist caves.
- The main cave, otherwise known as the Shiva Cave, contains numerous carvings throughout depicting various aspects of Lord Shiva including his wedding, his slaying of Andhaka, and more.
- There is also a sculpture of the Trimurti in the main cave that is approximately 20 feet tall. Other wings of the caves have shrines dedicated to Shiva’s sons, Kartikeya and Ganesh.
- Next up, you would be visiting the Gateway of India, Mumbai's most iconic monument, built to welcome King George V and Queen Mary to India.
- Just around the corner from the Gateway of India is the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel. The original building was commissioned by Jamshedji Tata and first opened its doors to guests on 16 December 1903.
- You will visit the Chhatrapati Shivaji train station, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Mumbai University, the Rajabai Clock Tower (the Big Ben of India), the Oval Maidan, where cricket, the most beloved sport of India is played.
- See Bombay High Court, a beautiful British heritage building and Asia’s largest open-air laundry at Dhobi Ghat, where clothes are washed in full public view.
- Stop to see Mani Bhavan, Mahatma Gandhi's residence in Mumbai. Visit the Jain temple, and Kamala Nehru Park and the Hanging Gardens near the Tower of Silence.
- Ride along Marine Drive, also known as The Queen’s Necklace, and pass by many British heritage buildings such as the Prince of Wales Museum, Maharashtra Police Headquarters, the Flora Fountain and Hutatma Chowk, the Telegraph Office, the India Post Office Building, the Kala Ghoda area, David Sassoon's Library and the National Gallery of Modern Art.
- At the end of the tour, you will be dropped off at your hotel.
- Service of a professional and knowledgeable guide.
- Hotel pick up and drop off.
- Entrance charges to the monuments.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 48 hour
- 50% refund if cancelled before 24 hour
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 3500 Per Person
Similar Exciting Activities
Also viewed by other travellers
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.