Beyond Roopkund - The Ronti Saddle - Homkund Trek
Ronti Saddle is a saddle between the glorious Himalayan peaks of Nanda Ghungti and Trishul closer to the Nanda Devi Inner Sanctuary.
The trek to Ronti Saddle is approached from the more popular Roopkund side and you enter the Sheela Samudra valley once you cross over the Junairagali Pass above Roopkund. A sharp descend from the Junairagali pass gets you to the vast and remote grassland of the Sheela Samudra. The name Sheela ( rocks ) Samudra ( sea ) translates to 'Sea of Rocks' and is given to the glacier coming down from the might Trishul.
We can either cross over the Saddle ( recently a team of Bengali Trekkers has done that in September), but mostly will come back to Do Dang and exit via Ghat, trekking through the deep forest cover of Lata Khopri and the villages of Sutol and Sitel, following the Nandakini River.
Roopkund - The Skeletal Lake
The sight of the beautiful circular glacial lake, emerald in colour, in the covering of snow all round it with tall mountain walls rising over it. This sight inspires a mixed feeling - fearful, unbelievable, surprising, exquisite and what not !!
Bedni Bugyal - Ali Bugyal
In this trek, we come across 2 of the most beautiful meadows in Uttrakhand - the Bedni Bugyal and Ali Bugyal. The soft mattress of green grasses feels just wonderful, and is even beautiful with sheep grazing on them.
- Grand views of Nanda Ghungti(6309m), Trisul I (7120m), II (6690m), III (6007m)
- Ronti Saddle - a saddle between the 2 grand mountains stand at 5200 meters and offers you enough challenge to reach it. However, on reaching there, you may decide which of the 2 mountains to touch !!
- The mystery and history of the Skeletal Lake - Roopkund. Its a small circular high altitude glacial lake surrounded by snow on most part of the year. The lake is surrounded by human bones which reveals itself mostly when the snow cover is lesser.
- The best bugiyals or meadows of the Himalayas - Bedni Bugiyal and Ali Bugiyal.
- Sheela Samudra - the glacier of Mt Trishul. A glacier full of tarns and boulders. Witnessing avalanche is a normal thing here opposite to your camp in the glacier.
- Homkund is another high altitude glacial lake just below Mt. Nandaghungti and Ronti Saddle.
- Keeda Jadi or Yartsa Gumba and its crazy drive amongst the locals during June, July.
- The lovely villages of Sutol and Sitel and beautiful campsites and remoteness of the trail
Day 1: Drive From Kathgodam To Lohajung and occupy your hotel.
Day 2: Trek From Lohajung to Didina
Day 3: Trek From Didina to Bedni Bugiyal, via Ali Bugiyal
Day 4: Trek From Bedni Bugiyal to Baghuabasa
Day 5: Trek From Baghuabasa to Roopkund. Cross Junairagali pass to Sheela Samudra
Day 6: Rest and local exploration day.
Day 7: Trek From Sheela Samudra to Dodang
Day 8: Trek From Dodang to Ronti Saddle, via Homekund. Trek back to Dodang
Day 9: Trek From Dodang to Latakhopri, via Chandaniya Ghat
Day 10: Trek From Lata Khopri to Sutol
Day 11: Trek From Sutol to Sitel. Drive to Ghat
Day 12: Drive From Ghat to Rishikesh
Peaks: Changabang ( 6864m ), Chaukhamba I ( 7138m ), Chaukhamba II ( 7058m ), Chaukhamba III ( 6974m ), Chaukhamba IV ( 6854m ), Dunagiri ( 7066m ), Nanda Devi ( 7816m ), Nanda Ghunti ( 6309m ), Trisul I ( 7120m ), Trisul II ( 6690m ), Trisul III ( 6008m )
Passes crossed on Trek: Junargali ( 5150m ), Ronti Saddle ( 5300m )
Lakes on Trek: Home Kund ( 4602m ), Roopkund ( 4784m )
Glaciers on Trek: Sheela Samudra Glacier
Rivers: Nandakini , Neel Ganga, Rupkini
Villages crossed on Trek: Wan, Kulling, Didina, Sutol, Sitel
National Parks: Nanda Devi Outer Sanctuary
- 12 Days / 11 nights of trek cost Ex. Lohajung
- 2 nights in standard hotel in Lohajung and Ghat
- Accommodation in spacious tents on trek, 2man/ 3man tents
- Sub Zero Sleeping bags supported with Warm Fleece Sleeping Bag Inners For Extra Hygiene and Warmth
- All required camping gears with Separate Dining and Kitchen Tents and toilet tents for men and women
- All meals starting Evening Tea in Lohajung on Day 1 till Breakfast in Ghat on Day 12
- 3 meals (B,L,D) suited for high altitude with evening snacks, soup, hot drinks and extra energizers/juice for summit days
- All other equipment and safety gears required for trek like Gaiters, Anti Slip Crampons, ice axe, rope, helmets, etc etc
- High Altitude Medical Kit
- Experienced and Well Equipped English/ Hindi Speaking Trek Leader
- Expert and Knowledgeable local guide with cooks, helpers, etc
- All forest entry permits and camping fees
- BAGGAGE OFFLOAD: INR 3150 per trekker
- TRANSPORT Ex Kathgodam/Rishikesh: Can be arranged on request.
- Personal Travel Insurance
- Personal Purchases
- Food Purchased Outside Our Menu
- Personal Gears
- Anything else not mentioned in inclusion list
Highest Altitude: 5300m
Grade: Strenuous ( learn more )
Best Time: May June, Sep Oct
Terrain: Meadows, forest , snow field, glacier, boulders
Activity Type: Trek
Trail Type: Different Entry Exit Point
Starts At: Lohajung
Ends At: Ghat
Nearest Airport: Jolly Grant Airport, Dehraoon, Uttrakhand
Nearest Rail Head: Rishikesh, Uttrakhand
- 75% refund if cancelled before 45 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 30 days
- 25% refund if cancelled before 15 days
- No refund after that
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Ideally trekking shoes/boots with ankle support are needed for any trek in the Himalayan region. Quechua shoes available at Decathlon are a value for money option.
Yes all published dates are final and departures are guaranteed. Even if that its just you, we will proceed with the trek.
Toilet tents are set-up at the campsites. These are dry-pit temporary toilets and most hygienic as well as convenient way to answer nature’s call in the wild.
Yes, you will be provided with tents and sleeping bags & mattress. Our sleeping bags are high altitude category and can withstand temperatures as low as -10º C. Couples are given two person tents and groups are give three or four person tents.
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point:
Kathgodam Railway Station, Haldwani, Uttarakhand, India