The Roopkund Trek is one of the most famous trekking sites in Garhwal, Uttarakhand because of its glacial lake and the events surrounding it. The edge of the lake harbors around 500 human skeletons believed to be dated back to 12th to 15th century.
The Roopkund trek is filled with thrilling, fun-packed experiences. However, it is only advised for skilled and zealous trekkers because it stays true to the reputation of Himalayan weather and adversities, often hostile too. Situated at 16,499 ft., the pulse-racing trek expands over 53 kms.The Roopkund lake is also known as the “mystery lake” and is frequented by guests from all over the world to indulge in its wonders. It is reachable through either Nainital or Kathgodam. The trek begins from Lohajung. Trekkers encounter plentitude of conifer trees,lush grasslands, and snow clad mountains as well as the spectacular Pindar Lake along the trail.
The Roopkund lake is surrounded by rocky glaciers and is placed at the bottom of Trishul and Nandghungti peaks lending to its palpable and picturesque beauty.
Day 1: Dehradun - Karanprayag - Kathgodam to Lohajung (2130m) | 8-9 hours
- We will drive from Dehradun to Lohajung, with the rivers Bhagirathi and Alaknanda keeping us company.
- The drive further provides us the opportunity to visit two more Prayags, i.e. Rudraprayag and Karanprayag.
- Reach Lohajung and rest at the guest house.
Day 2: Lohajung (2130m) – Didna (2550m) 9 km Trek | 4-5 hours
- The first day's hike takes us to the beautiful village of Didna, which is situated at an approximate distance of 9 km
- After we descend down almost all the way to the river bed below, we climb up the ridge towards village Didna.
- The trail here is marked by the vivid flora all around and rhododendron trees can be seen, identified by their distinct red flowers.
- The ridge further up on the eastern side climbs up to Ali Bugyal, to the North of which is located Bedni Bugyal, our destination for the next day. Overnight in camps.
Day 3: Didna (2550m) – Bedni Bugyal (3150m) - 12 km Trek | 3-4 hours
- After breakfast, start the trek to Bedni Bugyal which is one of the best camping sites in Garhwal Himalayas.
- We walk through Ali bugyal, which is a massive meadow and reach Bedni Bugyal.
- We can witness Trishul, a magnificient snowcapped mountains.
- Have sumptuous food and camp for the night.
Day 4: Bedni Bugyal to Patar Nauchani - 6 km trek | 3-4 hours
- We will start the day after breakfast and head up the trail clearly visible from Bedni Bugyal.
- The entire elevation gain is only up to the topmost section that is already visible to us.
- The trail henceforth descends slightly as we proceed further to Patar Nauchani campsite.
Day 5: Patar Nauchani to Bhagguwa Basa - 5km | 3-4 hours
- After breakfast we trek to Bhagguwa Basa. Bhagguwa means flowery park and Basa means place.
- And rightly the place is full of variety of flowers including the rare Brahma Kamal(state flower of Uttarakhand)
- Today we will trek 5 km, to reach today's campsite at Bhagguwa Basa. Dinner and overnight in tents.
Day 6: Bhagguwa Basa to Roopkund Lake(4800m) & back to Bedni Bugyal - 16km | 9-10 hours
- It is a long day and we start the trek early morning and reach Roopkund.
- Roopkund is a picturesque and beautiful tourist destination in the Himalaya and after exploration we start descending back to Bedni bugyal.
- We will reach the basecamp at Bedni bugyal and rest for the day.
Day 7: Bedni bugyal (3350m) – Wan (2550m) to Lohajung - | 3-5 hours
- After breakfast, we will start the trek from Bedni Bugyal to Wan.
- The route taken goes through dense forests with plenty of Rhododendron trees
- We descend to Gharoli Patal and further down to the bed of a river stream before we begin climbing towards Wan village
- From Wan we drive to Lohajung which lies 17 km from here. Dinner and overnight in guest-house in Lohajung.
Day 8: Lohajung to Dehradun | 9-10 hours
- After breakfast, check out from the guest house and start the drive towards Dehradun.
- We visit the confluence of rivers Mandakini and Alaknanda and reach Dehradun.
- Transport support from and to Dehradun: starting from pickup on day 1 to drop on day 8.
- Guide and cook fees.
- Rent for camping equipment.
- Forest entry charges.
- Porter and mule support to carry camping equipment. Please note that personal luggage can be carried by mules and/or porters on a chargeable basis.
- All veg meals starting from day 1 dinner to day 8 breakfast.
- Tented accommodation throughout the trek.
- Transport from your city to Dehradun and return
- Accommodation in Dehradun.
- Personal expenses of any kind
- Anything apart from the inclusions
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
Things to Carry:
- ID proofs
- Trekking boots
- Personal toiletries
- Woolen socks
- Thick gloves
- Personal medical kit
- Full refund if cancelled before* 7 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 3 days
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
- Dehradun bus stand/railway station
- The local person's contact will be shared in the booking voucher which is sent via email.
₹ 14950 Per Person
Similar Exciting Activities
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.