The Upper Alaknanda River Rafting Expedition
A self-contained multi-day river adventure down the upper Alaknanda River. The trip starts from our base on the Ganges river near the pilgrim town of Rishikesh, and launches from the town of Chamoli river to end at Rudraprayag, descending 70 kms of a classic river run negotiating over 85 Class 3+/4 rapids!!
A scenic drive of 165 kms (6hrs) hours takes us past the town of Devprayag, Rudraprayag and Nandprayag, situated on holy confluences which later form India’s holiest river, the Ganga. One of the most exciting the river runs in this part of the Himalaya, we take you through thick forests and deep gorges and cascading whitewater, Foaming rapids, sandy beaches and starry nights make this a truly memorable outdoor trip...
- Raft through Grade II to Grade IV+ rapids
- Rafting the Grade 5 rapid called ‘Kakkar fall’
- Camping and bonfire next to Alaknanda River
- Chances of spotting wildlife by the river
Board morning Shatabdi Express from Delhi leaving at 6:55 am. Reach Haridwar at 11:30 am and transfer to Camp Silver Sands. We check into Camp Silver Sands, which is located on a large sandy beach on the banks of the Ganga river - briefing on Camp, its activities and the trip to follow. Short run till Shivpuri to get familiarised with paddling commands and safety techniques, negotiating a few rapids, like ""Three Blind Mice"", ""Crossfire"", and the ""Body Surfing rapid"". Return to Camp for hot tea / coffee and snacks. Campffire barbecue dinner and overnight Camp.
An early morning drive to ldubagarh (6 hrs), the put in point. Enroute we stop at Devprayag, to see the confluence of the two rivers (the Alaknanda and the Bhagirathi) which meet to form the Ganga. Check into Camp upon arrival, and get personal kit ready. Overnight Kaldubagarh.
An early start today, we drive an hour to amoli and begin our river trip after a comprehensive safety check. We raft 30 kms with nearly 40 rapids today, including a possible portage at Hillary Fall. This is the spot where Edmund Hillary""s famous Ocean to Sky expedition ended, being unable to travel up this rapid. Lots of paddling, lots of scouts, this is the quintessential river day. We float into familiar Kaldubagarh for the night. Overnight Camp.
Today we raft from ldubagarh to Gauchar, rafting down a series of nearly 20 Class 3+ rapids over a 4 hour day. We camp near Gauchar, 7 kms upstream of the confluence of the Alaknanda with the Pindar at Karnprayag.
Today we raft till below draprayag in a 5 hour day covering 30 kms of Class 3+/4 rapids, including a portage at Kakar Fall. We drive back down the valley to arrive at Camp Silver Sands for dinner. Overnight Camp.
Relaxed morning at Camp. Post lunch transfer to Haridwar to board the evening atabdi home. Arrive Delhi by 10:30pm. Trip ends.
- All travel from Delhi and back to Delhi by road/ rail as applicable (by air and non ac car / jeep / coach),
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on the trip,
- Accommodation on twin share basis in tents / rest houses / hotels,
- All group climbing gear like ropes, anchors, slings etc. and individual climbing kit which would be hired climbing boots, ice-axes, crampons and gaiters,
- All meals,
- Professional guide fee, peak fee, sanctuary fee / royalty / permits where applicable,
- All trekking arrangementswith india’s most experienced guiding team, camp staff, cook etc.
- Airport transfers in Delhi,
- Any stay and meals in Delhi,
- Sleepingbag, items of personal clothing,
- Expenses of a personal nature like laundry, phone calls, alcohol, cigarettes,basic medical and evacuationinsurance
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control.