Kandy & Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage Day Tour from Colombo
This day tour of the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage and Kandy City is a perfect way to visit two must-see places in Sri Lanka. You get to spend time with baby elephants while they roam around or are having lunch or enjoying their bath in a nearby river.
In Kandy visit the beautiful Peradeniya Botanical Gardens offering a wide variety of orchids and other rare plants. Enjoy a traditional cultural show in Kandy and understand their culture. After this we visit the famous Temple of Tooth Relic which is the highlight of this day tour. Finally indulge in a relaxing walk by the serene Kandy Lake and nearby market.
- See the largest herd of captive elephants in the world
- Play with baby elephants and get to feed them, Enjoy watching them bathe and play in the river
- Understand how the orphanage helps abandoned babies and injured elephants found in the jungle
- Explore the famous Tooth Relic Temple
- Visit the renowned Botanical Gardens and see a large variety of orchids
- 6.30am: Depart from your Colombo Hotel. It would be about 3 hours’ drive depending on the traffic conditions.
- 9.15am: Bottle feeding of baby elephants
- 10.00am: Herd leaving to the river
- 12.30pm: Depart Pinnawala
- 2.00pm: Arrival & Lunch in Kandy city
- 3.00pm: Visit the National Museum which is located next to the Temple of Tooth.
- 4.00pm: Visit the Temple of Tooth located in the royal palace complex of the former Kingdom of Kandy, which houses the relic of the tooth of the Lord Buddha.
- 5.00pm: Stroll around the Kandy lake. This lake is also known as Kiri Muhuda or the Sea of Milk, which is an artificial lake in the heart of the hill city of Kandy, Sri Lanka, built in 1807 by King Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe next to the Temple of the Tooth & National Museum.
- 5.30pm: Depart from Kandy
- 9.00pm approx: Arrive at Colombo Hotel
- Entrance fees to Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage, Temple of Tooth and Royal Botanical Garden
- Service of an English Speaking Chauffeur Guide
- Hotel Pick-up and Drop-off
- Transportation by Air-Condition fully insured vehicles (Sedan Car or Van)
- All Parking and Highway Toll charges where applicable
- 1 Bottled Water
- Video and Camera Permits
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage can be visited anytime of the year. Orphanage open timings are 8:30am to 5:30pm. Pinnawala Orphanage is about 1.5 Hours (40 Kms) drive from Kandy and 3 Hours (110 Kms) drive from Colombo.
3 travellers found this helpful
The orphanage does not allow tourists to take elephant rides. You would however be allowed to wash them at river and see them up-close. You can even get to feed baby elephants if you happen to be there at right time.
3 travellers found this helpful
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 3913.36 Per Person
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.