Victorian Gothic And Art Deco In Mumbai
On this tour experience, the Victorian gothic & art deco story of Mumbai which began in the late 19th century with the emergence of Mumbai as a global trading city.
- A guided tour of the magnificent architecture of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Mumbai.
- Take a tour of the famous places like Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Sterling Cinema, Azad Maidan, Eros Cinema, Empress Court and many more.
- Visit Eros Cinema, an Art Deco style theatre built in 1938 with internal decorations by Fritz von Dreiberg.
- Visit Prince of Wales Museum which is housed in a magnificent heritage building
- Understand the history behind the fine pieces of arts.
Mumbai, the city which never sleeps, the wall street of India. This city is filled with people from all over the world making it one of the must-see spots in India. It’s very difficult to believe that this highly populous city of today was once just the array of islands but it all changed when Portugal’s ceased control in the 16th century. Mumbai grew up to be the financial capital of India.
- All the guests will be reporting at CST (Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus), Mumbai by 9 am.
- A UNESCO heritage building, CST is arguably the best example of Victorian Gothic Revival architecture in India. What is remarkable is that the gothic elements are blended with themes deriving from Indian traditional architecture. With more than 6 million daily commuters, CST is one of the busiest train stations in the world.
- Next, you will be walking to the Flora fountain passing the famous Sterling Cinema and Azad Maidan.
- Flora Fountain is the most famous fountain in Mumbai. Sculpted from Portland stone it has a magnificent statue of the Roman Goddess of flowers. It is dedicated to the people who died fighting for an independent state of Maharashtra.
- Post which you will visit Eros Cinema, a cinema hall built in Art Deco style.
- It was built in 1938 by architect Sorabji Keikhushru Bhedwar. The internal decorations were done by Fritz von Dreiberg. The building resembles a wedding cake as it rises in tiers topped by a semi-circular tower.
- You will next be walking to an impressive residential Art Deco building called Empress Court. Living in these Art Deco building used to be a symbol of status and wealth!
- Also, you will be visiting the High court building of Mumbai is a splendid specimen of Gothic architecture. Designed by Col. JA Fuller the building is characterized by huge towers and broad staircases.
- You will be next heading to the Big Ben of Mumbai. Rajabai Tower located in the Mumbai University complex is often called the Big Ben of Mumbai. A UNESCO heritage site, Rajabai Tower is an important Revival-Gothic heritage building. This 125 years old structure is a blend of Gothic and Art Deco elements.
- Your next stop will be the Elphinstone College is another remarkable Gothic structure in Mumbai. Established in 1856, the institution has provided alumni of the calibre of Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Dr. BR Ambedkar, and Jamshedji Tata.
- Next up you will be visiting the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya or the Prince of Wales Museum which is housed in a magnificent heritage building.
- Your next destination in this Victorian Gothic & Art Deco story of Mumbai is the current headquarters of Maharashtra Police. The original name of this building was Royal Alfred Sailors Home and catered to seamen.
- Post this you will be visiting the Regal Cinema which was the first Art Deco style cinema hall in Mumbai. It was built in 1933.
- You will finish your Victorian Gothic and Art Deco walk at the Gateway of India at 1 pm.
- Service of an experienced guide.
- Any entrance charges to the monuments and buildings.
- Light refreshments
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 48 hour
- 50% refund if cancelled before 24 hour
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 2000 Per Person
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.