The Blacktown Guided Walk in Kolkata
A two and a half hours guided walk through the narrow lanes and bylanes of North Kolkata to feel the essence of authentic Bengali culture and architecture.
- Visit North Kolkata aka Sutanuti, the hub of traditional Bengali culture.
- Walk by the courtyards and mansions of rich Bengali Babus and the Zamindars of the British era.
- The walk will also give you a glimpse of Victorian, Bengali and Islamic architecture.
Kolkata is the capital of the West Bengal state of India. Then known as Calcutta, the city was also the capital of British India during the colonial era and second most important city to the British empire after London, making the city culturally and historically very rich and important. The city is known for its colonial-era buildings such as The Writer’s Building(which originally served as the offices of the clerks of the East India Company), The Telegraph Office / The Dead Letter Office, Raj Bhavan / The Governor’s House (the official residence of the Viceroys of India during the Raj), St. Andrew’s Kirk (a beautiful Scottish Kirk), Currency Building(which served as the Reserve Bank of India till 1937) and many more. The city also has many historical buildings and monuments influenced by Bengali, Victorian and Islamic architecture.
The walking tour will start from the hub of traditional Bengali culture, North Kolkata aka Sutanuti was the abode of rich Bengali Babus and the Zamindars. This area contains a fascinatingly cosmopolitan blend of architectural forms which made up the old world dwellings of the city's wealthier Bengalis, known as the Babus.
- You are requested to meet the tour guide at the entrance of Girish Park Metro Station at 10 A.M.
- You will start the tour in North Kolkata also known as Sutanuti, the hub of traditional Bengali culture.
- During your walk, you will be passing through the House of W.C. Bannerjee, the house of Indian barrister and the first president of Indian National Congress.
- You will then pay a brief visit to the Anant Nath Deb Bazar & over 200 years old Twin Shiva Temples.
- You will continue to get a glimpse of the Chhatu Babu-Latu Babu Mansion, the abode for the first millionaire in Bengal during the British Raj and many more such historical buildings.
- Your tour concludes at the legendary Shovabazar Rajbari of Raja Nabakrishna Deb who was the first Talukdar of Sutanuti.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 48 hour
- 50% refund if cancelled before 24 hour
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 3440 Flat Rate
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.