Dilwara Temples , Mount Abu
About Dilwara Temples
The Dilwara Jain Temples are the finest Jain temples ever constructed. Constructed between the 11th and 13th centuries, these temples are known world over for their extraordinary architecture and splendid stone carvings. These beautiful temples are made of marble in midst of forests and hills, the delicately carved doorways, ceilings and pillars and panels are marvelous.
The Dilwara Jain Temple complex consists of five major temples devoted to the five Jain Tirthankaras(saints):
1. Shri Mahaveer Swami Temple: Constructed in 1582, this temple is dedicated to Lord Mahaveer, the 24th Tirthankara. A relatively small temple, the upper walls of porch were painted by artists of Sirohi in 1764.
2. Shri AdiNath Temple or Vimal Vasahi Temple: Built in 1031 by Vimal Shah, Minister of Solanika ruler of Gujarat, this is the oldest temple in the complex. It is dedicated to Shri Adinath, the first Jain Tirthankar. The temple has open courtyard surrounded by corridors, all beautifully carved. The ceilings have carvings of lotus-buds, flowers and some scenes from Jain mythology.
3. Shri ParshavNath Temple or Khartar Vasahi Temple: Built by Mandika clan between 1458-59 A.D., this temple has the tallest shrine amongst all the Dilwara Temples. There are four big Mandapa's on the four faces of the sanctum. The outer walls of the sanctum have beautiful sculptures which depict Dikpals, Vidhyadevis, Yakshinis, Shalabhanjikas.
4. Shri Rishabdaoji Temple or Peethalhar Temple: This temple is known as Peetalhar temple as most of the idols in this temple are of Peetal(Brass). It was built by Bhama Shah kavdia.
5. Shri NemiNathJi Temple or Luna Vasahi Temple: Dedicated to Lord Neminath, this magnificent temple was built in 1230 by two Porwad brothers - Vastupal and Tejpal. This temple has one hall named Rag Mandapa which has 360 tiny idols of Jain trithankar all minutely crafted on marble.
Timings: 12PM - 3 PM
Photography: Not allowed inside the temple complex.
Current Dilwara Temples Weather
28 - 14 ° C
28 - 12 ° C
27 - 13 ° C
28 - 13 ° C