Churches of Pondicherry/ Puducherry are well known for its oriental and colonial architecture. Immaculate Conception Cathedral is also known as "Samba Kovil", which means "Saint Paul’s Kovil" in Tamil language where "Kovil" is church. Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception which dates back to 300 years possess the oil paintings gifted by Napoleon III.
The church compound also houses bishop house. Mass services are conducted in Tamil and English here. Roots of this church date back to year 1692 when first church was built by Jesuit Fathers with the financial help of Louis XIV, king of France. After that church was demolished and built several times by Dutch and British.
Immaculate Conception Cathedral is one of the oldest tourist spots in Puducherry and visited by most tourists who come to Pondicherry. Mother Teresa also visited this church during her visit to Puducherry.