Vinay Vilas Palace, Alwar , Alwar
About Vinay Vilas Palace, Alwar
Built in the 18th century, Vinay Vilas Mahal or City Palace as it is known, resides in all its majesty and grandeur at the foot of the Aravali Range. Once a resplendent palace filled with royal opulence, today it is a grand palatial complex gone slightly to seed with some areas converted to government offices. This palace has a large courtyard with white marble chhatris at different levels, a fine example of Rajasthani architecture. The ground floor is mostly government offices. The first floor houses the museum- three huge rooms full of royal clothes, armoury, furniture, manuscripts. The museum is the only place in Rajasthan wherein once can actually see the exquisite collection of the Rajput kings and feel the grandeur. Established in 1940 by Maharaja Tej Singh Prabhakar Bahadur, the last ruling Maharaja of Alwar, he donated much of the royal family’s privately owned collection over the generations.