Kalyangad Fort , Satara
About Kalyangad Fort
Kalyangad or Nandgiri Fort is a hill fortress built by the Shilahar Dynasty from 1178 to 1209. It was later conquered by King Shivaji, and then managed by the Prathinidhis and then by the Peshwas. It was finally brought under the British Empire’s control in 1818 by General Pritzler. The fort is about 3500 feet high and the hike to it is quite trouble-free and quick.
One of the striking sections of the fort is that it has a Gallery upon the entrance; it is almost 30 meters deep. There are temples of Lord Hanuman and Lord Ganapati with a memorial of Kalyan Swami, a disciple of Saint Ramdas. The fort is not in its best condition but it’s worth a trip because of easy trekking and minimum amount of time required for exploring.