Kareri Lake 2N/3D Trek
Kareri lake trek starting from Dharamshala takes you to one of the most quaint high altitude shallow freshwater glacial lakes in Himachal Pradesh. Kareri Lake is a perfect offbeat trekking destination for a 3-day trek in the Mcleodganj and Dharamshala region.
Kareri Lake Trek Highlights:
- A 3-day trek to the beautiful Kareri Lake situated at an altitude of 3300 meters
- An unforgettable trekking experience through the dense alpine forest
- Camping near the Kareri lake and spending a night in the Kareri village
- Cross Nyund stream during the hike
Why choose this Kareri Lake Trek?
- Fixed Departures: All available dates on the calendar are bookable
- Guaranteed departure for even two members
- Dharamshala Pick-up: Transportation cost included
Kareri Lake Trek Overview
Kareri trek starts from Dharamshala, about 9 km from Mcleodganj. The lake is situated at a height of 3300 m above the sea level. This beautiful lake is formed as a result of the melting of winter snow from the Dhauladhar Mountains feeding water to the lake. The lake has spectacular surroundings that lure trekkers from all around the world. The Dhauladhar range remains snow covered in the beginning months of the year and the magnificent views are the chief attraction.
Starting from Ghera village, the trail goes through dense Himalayan forests of Oak and Rhododendron trees, scenic valleys, and uneven terrains. Considered to be a good option for the first time as well as experienced trekkers. The trek is considered as an easy to moderate level difficulty. Kareri lake acts as the base camp for high altitude treks like Minkiani pass trek in upper reaches of Dhauladhar Mountains.
Kareri Lake Trek n Kangra district is opening up in late April and remains open for trekkers until sometime in November. Sometimes snow falls even in the month of April. Weather in Kareri region remains good in months of April to June and August to October and these are the best months to do this trek. Temperature can drop around 10-degree Celsius in these months and as low as 5 C in the month of November.
The best thing about trekking in Himachal is the easy accessibility to various parts of the region. Starting from Delhi you can reach Dharamshala comfortably by Volvo buses. An overnight journey and you're in Dharamshala.
Kareri Lake Trek Itinerary:
Day 1: Dharamshala - Kareri Village - Reoti Camp | 25 km drive - 6 km, 4/5 hours trek
- You will be driven at around 10 am from Ghera to Kareri village. This road trip will take 4-5 hours to reach Kareri village.
- On the way, you have our packed lunch.
- Upon your arrival in Kareri, you start trekking and it takes about 4-5 hours to cover about 6 kilometres and reach the beautiful campsite of Reoti. Last one hour of the trek is slightly steep and our ascent passes through dense forest.
- Once you have arrived at the camp and you will have a warm cup of tea and snacks. Overnight stay in dome tents at Reoti and dinner will be served at the camp.
- If the weather permits, you would have a bonfire by the campsite while having dinner.
Day 2: Reoti - Kareri Lake (10170 ft) - 4 hours - 5 km trek
- On the second day you start your day early and after breakfast, you start walking towards Nature’s wonder.
- It will take you about 2-3 hours to trek to Kareri Lake from Reoti on foot. Explore the region around the lake in a beautiful setting.
- You will have lunch at Kareri Lake.
- An overnight stay will be arranged at Kareri Lake and you will have dinner under the glimmering stars.
- A bonfire will be arranged there if the weather is clear.
Day 3: Kareri Lake - Kareri Village - 10 km trek | Ghera to Dharamshala- 1-hour drive
- On the final morning of the trek, you will start your day with a warm cup of tea.
- After freshening up, you will have your breakfast and trek 10 km back to the Kareri village.
- From the village, you will be driven back to Dharamshala. Estimated time of reaching is evening by 2 pm.
- Pickup and drop from Dharamshala/Mcleodganj
- Food as per menu on the trek
- Services of trek guide, cook and helpers
- Porters or mules for carrying common luggage
- Safety & camping equipment
- Services of a trek leader
- Stay in camps/homestay/dome tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mats
- Facility to keep you extra luggage at the Reporting Base Camp
- Forest Entry/Permissions/Permits and Camping Charges , if any
- Experienced & professional guides
- First Aid and Certification on Completion
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 7 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 3 days
- No refund after that
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
An expert qualified Trek leader is assigned to lead every trek. Along with support staff, guides, cooks and porters accompany you during the trek. Post booking all details including trip coordinator details are shared on booking voucher on email and app.
2 travellers found this helpful
No, you do not need to buy any advanced snow shoes for this trek. All you require are a good pair of trekking shoes. You can opt for water resistant trekking shoes. Do carry along sufficient number of spare socks. Woolen socks are optional though.
2 travellers found this helpful
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 4550 Per Person