Kareri Lake Trek
An untouched glacial lake near Delhi
Kareri lake trek from Dharamshala takes you to one of the most quaint shallow freshwater glacial lakes in Himachal Pradesh.
- A 3-day trek to the beautiful lake at an altitude of 3300m.
- A trekking experience through the dense forest.
- Camping near the lake and spending a night in the Kareri village.
- Beautiful views of the snow-covered peaks of the Dhauladhar mountain range.
- Cross Nyund stream during the trek
Why Choose This?
- No Hidden Charges: All inclusive price with no hassle of paying on multiple occasions during the trip.
- Fixed Departures: All available dates on the calendar are bookable.
- Daily Availability: Guaranteed departure for even a single member.
- Dharamshala Pick-up: Transportation cost included.
Kareri trek starts from Dharamshala; about 9 km from Mcleodganj. The lake is situated at a height of 3300 m above the sea level. This beautiful lake is formed as a result of melting of winter snow from the Dhauladhar mountains feeding water to the lake. The lake has spectacular surroundings that lure trekkers from all around the world. The Dhauladhar range remains snow covered in the beginning months of the year and the magnificent views are the chief attraction. Starting from Ghera village, the trail goes through dense Himalayan forests, scenic valleys and uneven terrains. Considered to be a good option for the first time as well as experienced trekkers. The trek is considered as an easy to moderate level difficulty.
This trek in Kangra district is open from April mid till July end. Trail gets closed during the rains. After the monsoons, the trail is open for trekkers until mid-November. There are changes of witnessing some snow during the month of April. Weather in Kareri region can drop to 12-14 degrees at night in the month of April, May, June and July. It can go down to 4-9 degrees in the month of November.
The best thing about trekking in Himachal is the easy accessibility to various parts of the region. Starting from Delhi you can reach Dharamshala comfortably by Volvo buses. An overnight journey and you're in Dharamshala.
Day 1: Dharamshala - Kareri Village - Reoti Camp | 25 km drive - 6 km, 4/5 hrs trek
Drive from Ghera to Kareri village. This road trip will take 4-5 hours to reach Reoti. We have packed lunch on the way to Reoti. Last one hour of the trek is slightly steep and passes through dense forest. On reaching beautiful, Himachali village of Reoti, we camp and have our tea and snacks. Overnight stay in dome tents at Reoti and dinner at camp. If the weather permits, we would have a bonfire by the campsite while having dinner.
Day 2: Reoti - Kareri Lake (10170 ft) - 5 km trek - 4 hrs
Start your day as early and after your breakfast ahead towards nature’s wonder. 2-3 hours to reach Kareri Lake from Reoti. We have lunch at Kareri Lake. Overnight stay at Kareri Lake and we have dinner under the billion stars. A bonfire will there if the weather is clear.
Day 3: Kareri Lake - Kareri Village - 10 km trek | Ghera to Dharamshala- 1 hrs drive
Start your day with morning tea. After freshening-up, have your breakfast and move back to Kareri village. From the village, we drive back to Dharamshala. Estimated time of reaching is evening by 4-5 pm.
- Pickup and Drop from Dharmshala/Mcleodganj
- Food as per menu on the trek
- Services of Trek Guide, cook and helpers
- Porters or mules for carrying common luggage
- Safety & Camping Equipment
- Services of a Trek Leader
- Stay in Camps/Homestay/Dome Tents, Sleeping Bags, Sleeping Mats
- Facility to keep you extra luggage at the Reporting Base Camp
- Forest Entry/Permissions/Permits and Camping Charges , if any
- Experienced & Professional Guides
- First Aid and Certification on Completion
Note: There is no electricity during this trek, please bring your own power-bank to charge your batteries.
What to bring with you on Kareri Lake Trek
- Warm Jacket
- Cap & Muflar
- Lip Balm
- Water Bottle
- Medicine If You Need Any
- 100% refund if cancelled before 7 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 3 days
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point:
Dharamshala Bus Stand
₹ 4690 Per Person