Chapora Fort , Malvan
About Chapora Fort
Chapora fort is one of the most famous forts in Goa, located on Vagator beach in North Goa overlooking the Arabian Sea at a point where Chapora River meets the sea.
Chapora Fort gained huge popularity in recent years because a few scenes from a popular Bollywood movie 'Dil Chahta Hai' were shot here. The fort is located in Bardez and close to Vagator and Morjim beach. It is a very scenic location, surrounded by sea on two sides and Chapora River on one. From the top you get amazing views of the ocean as well as the Vagator beach below. There exists a church inside the fort, which was once dedicated to St. Anthony. The church has now almost disappeared and a few signs of it remain such as barracks and housing.
In 1510, when Portuguese arrived in Goa, this site was the location of another fort and was reconstructed several times under the control of Portuguese. Akbar tried to end the rule of Portuguese and hence joined Marathas, one time enemy of his father. The Portuguese succeeded on battling with Marathas and strengthened their defenses. The present day fort structure was built and completed in 1717. Chapora fort is outlined with steep slopes which gives it an irregular outer wall. There’s an open space where there are some cashew bushes and goats grazing. The rocky promontories provide the fort with an excellent natural access to the sea site.
Legend has it that Chapora Fort has many underground tunnels that acted as emergency passage way in times of attacks. Chapora fort was constructed by rulers of Bijapur in 16th century but later controlled by the Portuguese for much of its history. Fort structure was renovated by Portuguese in early 18th century.
It is about 22 kms from Panjim and only 10 Kms from Mapusa. While the Chapora fort is in ruins the view from top more than make up for the small hike. Best time to visit is just before sunset in the evening. Chapora fort is a good place to spend a couple of quiet, romantic hours.