Shantadurga Temple is located in Ponda, about 35 kms from Panaji. The temple dates back to 1730 when the foundation stone was laid, but was completed in 1738. In 1966 it was renovated. The presiding deity is Goddess Shantadurga, who is believed to be the mediator between Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva. It is an important temple for Goan Hindus and is clean and peaceful. During festive occasions, the Goddess is carried on a golden palanquin in a procession.