Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage Day Tour from Kandy
You will be greeted by a local driver and thereafter drive to spend the day with friendly, orphaned elephants in Pinnawala. It is a 25 acre coconut property that is a conservation camp for Sri Lankan elephants.
Here you will witness baby elephants being fed by a feeding bottle as soon as you enter. This is a lovely site for tourists. This elephant orphanage also houses crippled elephants that can’t take care of themselves. Special "mahouts" are trained to take care of these ‘gentle giants’ who are sometimes orphaned.
The Elephant orphanage was started in 1975 and has birthed over 20 new-born calves in its premises. Some elephants even have had the opportunity to witness their own grand children being born in the past few decades.
Witness as these beautiful creatures are fed at 9.15am, 12.15pm & 5.00pm, or when they are bathed – twice a day at 10.00am and 2.00pm respectively. This is an experience that is sure to leave you mesmerized for a life time.
- Watch large herd of Asian Elephants Playing & Bathing in the River
- Get to feed Orphaned baby elephants
- Get clicked with these gentle giants
- Morning pick up from your Kandy Hotel and our Driver cum Guide will meet you
- Drive to to Pinnawala (approx 2 Hrs. drive)
- Visit Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage to see Elephants herds
- Play with Baby elephants and watch them play, eat and bathe
- If you wish you could feed them milk or bananas as guided by facility instructor. Elephants are fed at 9.15am, 12.15pm & 5.00pm
- Elephants are taken to the river Maha Oya for a two-hour bath at 10.00am and 2:00pm everyday
- Lunch at a recommended restaurant
- Drive back to Kandy and drop-off at your hotel
- Entrance fees (Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage)
- English Speaking Chauffeur Guide
- Hotel Pickup & Drop
- Transportation by Air-Condition fully insured vehicles (Sedan Car or Van)
- All Parking and Highway Toll charges where applicable
- 1 Bottled Water
- Video and Camera Permits
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage can be visited anytime of the year. Orphanage open timings are 8:30am to 5:30pm. Pinnawala Orphanage is about 1.5 Hours (40 Kms) drive from Kandy and 3 Hours (110 Kms) drive from Colombo.
4 travellers found this helpful
The orphanage does not allow tourists to take elephant rides. You would however be allowed to wash them at river and see them up-close. You can even get to feed baby elephants if you happen to be there at right time.
3 travellers found this helpful
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 6471.69 Per Person
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.