Nature Trek & Birding in Udawatte Kele Sanctuary
Spend some time trekking through the nature and bird watching at the Udawatta Kele Sanctuary, Kandy. This sanctuary located towards the north of Kandy Lake is spread across 103 hectares and is one of the eco tourism sites. Within the sanctuary you will also find Buddhist monasteries, and three Buddhist caves and it is also known to supply water to the nearby city of Kandy. It has a diverse ecosystem and hence is the best place to observe the nature and explore the variety of birds that can be seen in this area.
Udawatta Kele hosts approximately 80 species of birds which includes three toed Kingfisher, Green Fronted Leaf Bird, Sri Lankan hanging parrot, Layard’s Parakeet, hill myna, Spot Bellied Eagle Owl etc. Some of the endemic species like the jackal, porcupine, deer and macaque can also be found here. It also has a great panoramic view of the entire Kandy city.
- Explore an eco-tourism site which expands over 103 hectares
- See several species of mammals and reptiles on the hike
- See Buddhist forest monasteries & cave dwellings
- Visit a great location for panoramic photographs of Kandy city
- 6:00am - Trip starts with pick-up from Kandy hotel and transfer to Udawatte Kele Sanctuary. On the TukTuk, you can sit and stretch out, protected from the sun, and rain, and with a great breeze.
- Briefing by Nature guide regarding the trail and the forest reserve.
- Start bird watching and nature hike tour at Udawatta Kele sanctuary.
- Udawatte Kele sanctuary has varieties of birds like yellow fronted barbet, Spot bellied eagle owl and native three-toed Kingfisher & Sri Lanka hill myna, and are some of them.
- Endemic animals like toque macaque, jackal, porcupine and mouse deer seems to be common. Some giant lianas are found here in the jungle.
- 11:00am - Finish the hike and you are dropped back at your hotel.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off by a Tuk Tuk / Car
- Experienced Naturalist
- Refreshments with energy bars
- Sanctuary Entrance fees
- Bottled water
- All handling charges
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 5411.44 Per Person