St. Angelo Fort , Kannur
About St. Angelo Fort
The St. Angelo Fort also known as Kannur Fort or Kannur Kotta was constructed in 1505 by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francesco de Almeida. The Dutch however captured the fort In 1663 and They modernised the fort and built the bastions Hollandia, Zeelandia and Frieslandia which are the major features of the present structure. Later they sold it to Ali Raja of Kannur. In 1790 the British seized control over the fort and renovated it and made it their most important military station in Malabar.
The St. Angelo fort is in the Cannanore Cantonment area and is a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India. Its a popular tourist attraction and can be visitied everyday from, 8 AM to 6 PM.