The Batticaloa Fort is a Dutch fort located in the town of Batticaloa in Sri Lanka. It was actually built by the Portugese in 1628 and later was captured by the Dutch in the year 1638. From 1745 onwards the fort was mainly used by the British. The fort consists of four bastions and is still in a better condition. It houses the local administrative departments of Sri Lanka in new buildings. The fort is guarded by the Batticaloa Lagoon on two sides and a canal on the other two sides of the fort. Old canons can also be spotted near the Batticaloa fort. It also houses the offices of the District Secretary. However, the government is now planning to transform the fort into a museum and a conference hall.