Black Fort, also called Zwart Fort, which can be reached after walking along the Galle fort wall is the oldest built bastion by the Portuguese. It’s one of the 14 bastions of this fort. It is called Black fort because in the ancient times this place was always covered in thick curls of smoke coming from canons and guns. The Galle fort or the Dutch fort that crowns the coastal area of Galle is nearly 500 years old and stood strongly at the face of many calamities. It has survived the December 2004 earthquake and its glamour and fineness owe much to the archaeological teams. The fort is now draped in greenery and surrounded by blue waters on two sides. This fort was built in 1588 by the Portuguese to defend the town of Galle and also the place where Sinhalese prisoners were held. The fort was under Portuguese, Sinhalese, and Dutch and later in the 18th century, under the British.
The fort has similarities to that of a civilisation, with streets and houses of Dutch style. The fort houses Meera Mosque, Church, a Clock Tower dating back to 1882, Galle lighthouse and warehouse that now is a National Maritime Museum. It is a UNESCO recognised Heritage and maintained by the government of Sri Lanka.
THINGS TO KNOW
Historical, Heritage, Fort, Monument
Sinhala and English